As we leap ahead with technological advancements in every field, automobiles is a sector that has experienced some really exciting changes. One such has been the advent and acceptance of automatic cars in India. The essential difference between an automatic and manual transmission vehicle is the gearbox. But beyond the technicalities, an automatic vehicle is about hassle free, driving comfort.
Given the fact that an automatic car has a complex and advanced gearbox it is also more expensive to repair since it needs expertise. Hence keeping it insured is extremely essential so that in case of any damage, one does not need to burn a hole in their pocket for repairs.
Maintaining your Automatic car
Let’s start with a few tips on the maintenance of your automatic car that can go a long way in avoiding any long-term damage due to regular wear and tear that is not covered by insurance.
- Change from neutral to drive after a complete halt
One of things that you should remember when you drive your automatic car is to avoid changing gears when the car is in motion. This puts excess strain on the transmission. So, it is advisable to completely halt the car before changing from the reverse to drive or neutral to drive gears.
- Do not skip regular maintenance
It is important to keep a regular check on your automatic car and let professionals run a check on your vehicle without skipping any scheduled maintenance. With regularly scheduled maintenance, potential problems could be caught early on, saving you money on repairs in the long run.
- Keep an eye on the transmission fluid
Check the transmission fluid from time to time with the dipstick just like we check the engine oil. Changes in the colour or smell of the transmission fluid should be immediately attended to as it could be a sign of some issues.
- Service your car engine’s cooling system
Your car’s cooling system prevents the engine from overheating and cools down the transmission fluid. Transmission and engine repairs can be incredibly expensive, so it’s a good idea to service your car’s cooling system regularly and keep these important components in great condition.
These tips will surely keep your automatic car in great shape and avoid any wear and tear issues. Having said that, to make sure that your car is secured when on road, having insurance to cover your car against any accidental damages is essential. A comprehensive insurance plan works well for you.
Factors that contribute towards higher insurance premium for automatic cars
You must be aware that the car insurance premium is based upon factors like engine capacity, age of the car, its model, location, variants, deductibles, and the insurance cover you opt for. So, your car insurance premium is settled based on these factors. Let’s understand in detail the factors and reasons for the higher premium of automatic cars:
- Make/model:The vehicle manufacturer, engine cubic capacity, vehicle type, etc., affect the premium price of car insurance. One of the most prominent reasons for higher premium of automatic cars are its technologically advanced engine and gearbox. Since any damage to the system will require expensive repairs hence the premium is higher to provide higher coverage.
- Need for higher coverage:Given the fact that even the smallest repairs may end up being expensive, having high coverage is essential for automatic car owners. Hence it is wise to have adequate coverage through a comprehensive plan that gives you the dual advantage of own damage as well as third party cover. Additionally, you may also need to choose specific add-ons for enhanced cover. This leads to having a higher premium on your car insurance.
- Location:Location plays an important role in arriving at your car’s insurance premium. If you reside and drive your automatic car in a metro city vis-à-vis a tier 3 city, the premiums are higher.
We hope now you have a clear idea of the factors affecting the insurance premium of your automatic car and why it is higher than a regular manual transmission car. To sum up, automatic cars need more care and hence it is only fair that their insurance premiums will be higher. To be able to choose, compare and buy the best suited policy for your automatic car, download our Bajaj Finserv App.
Anywhere, Anytime insurance with the Bajaj Finserv App!
The Bajaj Finserv App is a high utility app that takes care of all your financial needs including insurance. On the app, you can explore car insurance plans from our trusted partners. Here you can view product features, compare prices, and purchase a plan that is best suited to your needs. All this in a matter of minutes on our 100% digital platform and from the comfort of your home. It truly is becoming the new way to buy insurance.