The government agency in charge of monitoring and controlling the Indian food industry is the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI). It is a self-governing body inside the Indian government’s Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
An FSSAI Registration or License is required for every food business operator that produces, processes, stores, distributes, or sells food.
FBOs must get the appropriate registration or licence based on the size and nature of their operation, which is where FSSAI Registration differs from FSSAI License.
A 14-digit registration or licencing number can be found on every food package. The 14-digit registration number contains both the state where the assembly took place and the producer’s licence. This registration process aims to make the FBO more responsible for preserving the quality of the food items. The Food Safety and Standards Regulations govern the licencing and registration procedure as well as the standards.
The Advantages of FSSAI Registration:
The company would have a higher reputation in the eyes of clients thanks to the FSSAI registration. Customers now check that the food quality complies with FSSAI regulations when it comes to food quality standards.
Observance of laws:
Any food business owner who has this licence will follow the law’s standards. The business will avoid sanctions if it continues to comply.
If the company had this FSSAI licence number, its standing would rise. Additionally, it will improve the name of the business. Consumers are more likely to purchase products with the FSSAI emblem than those without.
Money from the government
You might be able to get a bigger financing amount by using this register. The general public perceives an FBO with this licence as being more in compliance with governmental regulations.Having this licence expands the possibilities for securing public and government financing.
Reputation has improved
The company’s reputation and goodwill are improved by obtaining the FSSAI registration licence.
FSSAI Registration Eligibility Criteria:
The following factors would influence FSSAI registration:
Type of Company
The sort of FSSAI licence required would be determined by the type of business.For instance, the FSSAI registration required for a government food production corporation is different from the FSSAI licencing required for a street hawker or food stall operator. The necessary licence would be obtained based on the size and type of the business’ operations.
The Company’s Turnover:
The following turnovers must be taken into account in order to qualify for the forms of registration under the FSSAI procedure:
- If the annual turnover is less than 12 lakhs, basic registration is necessary.
- More than 12 lakh but less than 20 crore in annual turnover.
- At Central Registration, Annual Turnover Exceeds $20 billion
The Business’s Metric Capacity:
When choosing the type of licence to apply for under the FSSAI registration, the metric capacity of the business would also be taken into consideration. For instance, if the unit produces more than a certain number of products, it may need to apply for new registration.
Who needs a basic FBO registration?
Basic FSSAI registration is required for the following:
- Any FBO, Dhaba, or food stall with annual revenue of fewer than 12 lakhs.
- Small quantities of food are sold at stalls called petty food stalls.
- A subcategory of the cottage business is the cottage industry.
- Vegetable Measurements
- about 2.5 metric tonnes of milk-based solids produced by milk-producing units As a result, these companies are required to register with the FSSAI.
- . any dairy farm that generates more than 500 litres of milk each day.
- The slaughterhouse must kill 50 poultry birds or at least two large animals. In a slaughterhouse with 10 small animals, this would also be appropriate.
Which FBOs are required to be registered with the state?
- any FBO that generates more than 12 lakh but fewer than 20 crore in annual income.
- Food Products and Businesses with a Name.
- Hotels and resorts with a four-star rating.
- Storage facilities with a 50,000 metric tonne capacity. Every year, this needs to be done.
- milk handling, processing, or obtaining dairy facilities with a 500–50,000 litre capacity.
- 50 large animals, 150 small animals, and 1000 chickens were slaughtered there.
Suggested Read- FSSAI LICENSE
Which FBOs need to be registered centrally?
- any FBO with yearly sales of over 20 crores.
- It is forbidden to produce more than 2 metric tonnes of any kind of vegetable oil or solvent every day. Solvent extraction and refineries are examples of this.
- club venues, hotels, and resorts spread over several states.
- Hotels and resorts with a five-star rating
- Whole-sellers with a revenue of more than 30 crores per year.
- Airports, railroads, defence, and other services are provided by the central government.
- milk production or handling facilities that handle more than 50,000 litres of milk per day.
- In the slaughterhouse, more than 50 large animals, 150 small animals, and 1000 chickens are killed.
- storage facilities with a 50,000 metric tonne capacity or higher.This needs to be done on a yearly basis.