All you need to know about sight words Why Are They Important?
Reading is a tricky task. Many skills and strategies need to come together for fluent readers to be created. One of the first steps towards helping our young students get started with reading is focusing on kindergarten sight words – but before we talk about HOW this can happen and share some activities- let’s answer the question: What are Sight Words? WHY is it important to teach Sight Words?
What are Sight Words?
Sight words are words that are simple, short, and high frequency. These words are learned through repeated reading of the text and seeing the word in print.
They need to recognize sight words. Reading becomes easier when you don’t have to spend time trying to figure out what a comment looks like or sounds like because you can recognize it as a sight word.
WHY should I teach my child Sight Words?
It is essential to teach your child sight words because:
1) They will become fluent readers faster by being able to recognize the most common words in text automatically;
2) They will learn how to read new text faster; even if they have never read that particular text before;
3) They will be able to read more complex texts with more challenging vocabulary because they will already be familiar with the base vocabulary of the book/story; and
4) It is easy for students at all grade levels to increase their reading fluency.
Use this online spelling platform for more information about sight words.
Importance of sight words
- Sight words are the most commonly occurring words in the English language. They are short and simple and can be taught to your child early.
- Sight words can be taught by using flashcards, word walls, or as you read a story to your child; by pointing out these words as you read them in context with the rest of the text.
- For your child to become a fluent reader, they need to learn how to recognize sight words. First graders should master sight Words so they can begin reading books independently without sounding out every word on each page; instead, they will be able to recognize sight words and read text automatically with fluency.
- Reading is more accessible when students learn sight words because they don’t have to spend time figuring out what a comment looks like or sounds like because they can recognize it as a sight word.
- Sight Words are the most commonly used words in the English language.
- Sight words are the “high frequency” words that makeup 50% of all printed material.
- Sight words are the vocabulary needed to read smoothly, accurately, and automatically.
- Sight Words are the vocabulary needed to understand what you read.
- Sight Words are a necessary element in becoming a fluent reader.
So why do we teach sight words? We teach sight words because they are essential to becoming a fluent reader!
Fluent reading is essential for comprehension, and comprehension builds knowledge and understanding of content areas (science, social studies, math, language arts) and overall literacy skills. And that’s just reading! It doesn’t even include spelling or writing or speaking and listening! Fluent readers become confident learners who have high motivation to succeed academically – which makes them successful learners for life!
An effective way for students to learn sight words is using “Sight Word Readers.”
Sight Word Readers are books that have been designed with the most commonly used words in the English language. These books are an effective way for students to learn Sight Words because they will see those words repeatedly throughout the book!
These books can be read independently or as guided reading groups. This makes them perfect for differentiated instruction.
Students will be able to prepare for the schonell spelling test in their book; then, they can try to read other comments on the page that are not in their book. These books are also great for a quick review of sight words!
Sight Word Readers are an excellent way for students to learn sight words because they are books that have been designed with the most commonly used words in the English language. They contain only high-frequency sight words (the most widely used 100+ Sight Words), and each word has been repeated throughout the book so that students will see those words repeatedly! For more interesting blogs, Please Visit My5TVActivate
For more blogs, Please Visit osmtechno com
Levels of Sight Word Readers
There are currently 5 different levels of Sight Word Readers: Kindergarten, 1st Grade, 2nd Grade, 3rd Grade, and 4th Grade. Each group is designed around an engaging story appropriate for each grade level. The story is simple enough to allow students to read the book independently while still engaging enough that they will want to read it again and again!
Each level has an interactive component that is an excellent way for students to practice their sight word reading. Students can play a matching game online or print out the cards and play with a friend.
There are also games available on the website for students to play at home or in the classroom.