Low sperm count refers to the inability of a male to ejaculate a normal amount of semen during an orgasm. The condition of a lower than normal sperm count is referred to as Oligospermia.
In contrast, when a person cannot ejaculate sperm at all it is called Azoospermia. Since the normal sperm count is 15 million sperm per milliliter of semen, a person with less than the required amount is known to suffer from Oligospermia.
Suppose one does not have enough sperm count, the possibility of them fertilizing their partner’s egg decreases. However, due to the advances in medical science, they still have the chance to father a child.
If you wish to know more about how a low sperm count can occur and its symptoms, make sure to read this article. You will get relevant information about low sperm count. Also, do not forget to check out the Bajaj Finance health card for innumerable benefits at your doorstep. Keep reading to find out more.
Some Facts Which Cause The Problem Of Low Sperm Count
The normal functioning of one’s Testicles, Pituitary, and Hypothalamus glands is the key to the proper production of sperm, as it is a complex process. After the sperm is produced, it is transferred through delicate tubes to combine with the semen and get ejaculated from the penis. During this entire process, any problem or obstruction can lead to a negative effect on sperm production.
Apart from this, problems like an abnormal shape of sperm (known as Morphology), functioning, or motion can have a drastic effect on sperm production.
Environmental Causes For Low Sperm Count Signs
- Sperm production can be drastically affected due to radiation exposure and may take a long time before the condition returns to normal. Sperm count is affected due to extreme radiation exposure.
- Regular or frequent use of hot water baths and saunas can drastically hamper the level of sperm production in your body.
- The temperature of your scrotum can increase if you wear tight clothes, thus resulting in a lowering of sperm count.
Medical Causes For Lower Sperm Count
Passages can be blocked if any infection interferes with the normal functioning of producing sperm. Such infections include Gonorrhea, Inflammation of the Epididymis, and some sexually transmitted diseases. It can create permanent Testicle damage.
- Anti-sperm antibodies can mistake sperm for harmful invaders and destroy it, thus lowering the sperm count.
- Chemotherapy, Testosterone Replacement Therapy, some Ulcer medications, and other medications can impair sperm production and cause a massive decrease in male fertility.
- Hormonal imbalances caused in the Testicles, Hypothalamus, and Pituitary Glands can severely impact your sperm count.
Other Causes For Low Sperm Count Signs
- Abuse of alcohol or drugs can reduce Testosterone levels and decrease sperm production, causing the testicles to shrink.
- Smokers tend to have a lower sperm count than non-smokers.
- Distress or trauma of any kind has a serious impact on your sperm production.
- Depression and anxiety problems can negatively affect your sperm production and count.
- Obesity directly impacts the concentration of sperm, which causes hormonal changes and obstruction in sperm fertility.
Symptoms Of Low Sperm Count Signs
- The first sign of low sperm count will be the lack of the ability to conceive a child.
- An inherited Chromosomal Abnormality, a Hormonal imbalance, can cause this issue.
- Conditions like dilated Testicular veins or when your sperm passage gets blocked can harm your concentration of sperm.
- Problems in functioning sexually, Erectile Dysfunction (the inability of a man to maintain an erection), and other issues can cause a problem in sex drive and negatively influence your sperm concentration.
- Swelling or pain caused in the testicular area is a valid symptom of lower sperm count too.
The Bottom Line
Low sperm count can cause immense problems in the lives of men, as they prevent them from having the joy of fatherhood.
Though the conditions mentioned above can be treated, if you are experiencing Oligospermia, it is necessary to take precautionary measures to eradicate it. We hope you find this article about low sperm count informative and helpful.