Web browsers are a very important and critical part of the internet. They are the gateway to the internet world. Because of the importance of web browsers, they have become a target for hackers and cybercriminals looking for browser vulnerabilities and security failures to exploit.
Because browsers are pieces of software that let a user visit web pages and use web applications, it carries sensitive information such as a user’s browsing history and personal data. Hackers are out there targeting browsers and trying to compromise them.
Because of this fact, it is important that web users harden the security of their browsers. Below are simple steps that could be taken to ensure the security of a browser:
- Update to the Latest Version: One of the most simple but important steps towards securing your browser is to update to the latest version. All major web browser makers and their browsers such as Google’s Chrome, Mozilla’s Firefox, and Apple’s Safari are regularly updated, the latest updates fix vulnerabilities observed in earlier versions and come with new security features. To keep your browser secure and safe, turn on the auto-update so that the browser automatically updates to the latest version.
- Customize Security Settings on the Browser: web browsers come with security settings that allow users to protect their data and customize their settings in a way that offers them protection. Under the security setting, the following actions should be taken: “block reported attack/ fake sites” where this feature exists to ensure it is activated, disable cookies, or only allow those that are necessary for the functioning of the browser. Also, disable pop-up windows and java scripts. They are prone to be manipulated for malicious purposes. Disable camera and microphones from running automatically.
- Use a Capable Anti-virus: Using anti-virus can help to protect your computer and ensure your browser is not compromised. APP-X is one such software that offers its users more than just anti-virus protection. It wipes out traces of browser exploits, fends off malware, and phishing scams, and spots fake websites.
- Check Web Addresses: Cybercriminals and hackers regularly creates fake and malicious websites that mimic the websites of popular brands and companies to trick users to log into their system so that they use the opportunity to steal sensitive information. To avoid being a victim of hackers, internet users should double-check the domain name to ensure it is not fake.
- Check for the Security Symbol: Some websites usually display the lock symbol in the address bar: this is commonly the case with some websites such as online retail outlets and banking sites. It means the website is secure and uses an HTTPS connection. This symbol does not appear on all websites but users should avoid entering sensitive information on websites without this symbol on the address bar.
- Turn Off Email Images: Spam messages in many cases contain images that the sender can track. When the mail is opened, the images will load and the sender or the spammer can tell if the spamming activity was a success. Unchecked spams constitute a serious threat to browser security and could lead to the theft of data. Turning off email images avoids spam.
- Install software or activate settings that block phishing scams: Phishing scams are messages that try to trick internet users into giving out sensitive information: these messages appear to come from reputable sources such as banks and online stores. They usually prompt users to provide a password, and verify their credit card number, date of birth, or social security number. The intention is to steal this information to commit fraud. Internet users should be careful of what websites they enter their sensitive information into and ensure that they take steps to protect themselves from logging into fake websites with malicious content.
Also, steps should be taken to use privacy apps like Hoody. It will help you protect your privacy and security. When using your browser with Hoody, each one of your tab and website gets a new IP, a new location, and a unique set of Fingerprints, making tracking impossible. Hoody Phantom Browsing™ future-proof technology beats the most advanced and invasive tracking techniques.
To this end, the importance of ensuring the security and privacy of users’ data cannot be overemphasized. Internet users should be deliberate about protecting their privacy. Checking their settings, regularly updating their browsers, installing anti-viruses, using strong passwords, and being mindful of the links and websites they enter sensitive personal information. Care should also be taken to control access to their devices.